The Bridgton Alliance Church is part of a larger family called The Christian and Missionary Alliance. Founded by Dr. A.B. Simpson, a New York Presbyterian minister in 1887, at Old Orchard Beach, Maine, the C&MA has churches all across the United States and in over 55 countries around the world. With a worldwide membership of over 2 1/2 million, it is one of the faster growing protestant, evangelical denominations of today. It stresses Jesus Christ as Savior, Sanctifier, Healer and Coming King. Over 1000 C&MA missionaries overseas are teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ in 250 languages and dialects and are also involved in hospitals, compassion and mercy ministries, publishing houses, and radio ministries.
Rev. Martin Smith, Jr.
In July 1965, God burdened the heart of Rev. Martin Smith concerning the establishment of a Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in Bridgton. After several months of small group meetings in area homes, Sunday afternoon services were begun on October 3, 1965, at the B.P.W. Club on Main Street. The church soon outgrew this small building and renovated the former G.A.R. Hall on Depot Street. In June 1966, Pastor Smith and his family moved from Bath to Bridgton to occupy a parsonage with 75 acres of land which had been purchased by the young church. On August 16, 1970, a church building next to the parsonage on Harrison Road (Rt. 117 North) was formally dedicated. In March of 1975, construction was completed on the present sanctuary seating 250 people. Rev. Martin Smith pastored the church from 1965 to 1972.
Our current pastor is Rev. Mike Zullo who began his ministry at Bridgton in September of 2014.
On September 19 and 20, 2015, the Bridgton Alliance Church celebrated its 50th Anniversary with several founding members, the family of the late Rev. Martin Smith, and four of our former pastors present.
The below materials were prepared for the 50th Anniversary:
"The Beginnings - A History of the Bridgton Alliance Church from 1965-1975"